Policy Analyst, Writer, Lecturer, Columnist, Consultant, Television Host
Trans-Atlantic Relations, NATO and the European Union, Nationalism and Ethnic Politics, Central and Eastern Europe, Balkans, Russian Foreign Policy, Caucasus and Central Asia
Born in England (1954), BA Honours University of Kent at Canterbury (1977), MPhil London School of Economics and Political Science (1981); mobilized support in England for Polish free trade union Solidarity (1980-1982); consultant on Polish affairs, BBC Television, London, England (1982-1983); Senior Research Analyst, Radio Free Europe, Munich, Germany (1984-1985); joined the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), Washington DC, in 1986, established the East European department, rebranded as New European Democracies (2000) and fused with the Europe Program (2012), non-resident CSIS Senior Associate (2013-2014); Senior Fellow, Center for European Policy Analysis (CEPA), Washington DC (2014-).
Recipient, Distinguished Public Service Award from U.S. Department of State, U.S. Agency for International Development, U.S. Information Agency, and Arms Control and Disarmament Agency (1998). Awarded Medal of Gratitude by Polish Free Trade Union Solidarity (2010).
Books: Conflict Zones: North Caucasus and Western Balkans Compared (2014); Return of the Balkans: Challenges to European Integration and U.S. Disengagement (2013); Georgian Lessons: Conflicting Western and Russian Interests in the Wider Europe (2010); Dismantling the West: Russia’s Atlantic Agenda (2009): America’s New European Allies (2009); Expanding Eurasia: Russia’s European Ambitions (2008); Atlantic Bridges: America’s New European Allies (2006), Kosova: From Occupation to Independence (2006); Cold Peace: Russia’s New Imperialism (2004), Political Parties in Eastern Europe: A Guide to Politics in the Post-Communist Era, (2002}, Ethnic Politics in Eastern Europe: A Guide to Nationality Policies, Organizations, and Parties (1994); Nations in Turmoil: Conflict and Cooperation in Eastern Europe (1993); East European Fault Lines: Dissent, Opposition, and Social Activism (1989); and Czechoslovakia: Charter 77′s Decade of Dissent (1987). Edited volumes: Central-East European Policy Review 2011 (2011); Kazakhstan’s OSCE Chairmanship 2010 (2011); Western Balkans Policy Review 2010 (2010); Toward an Understanding of Russia: New European Perspectives (2002).
Contributor to newspapers and journals: The National Interest, Orbis: A Journal of World Affairs, Wall Street Journal, The Financial Times, The Washington Post, The Washington Times, Slavic Review, Washington Quarterly, Nationalities Papers, Journal of Democracy, Stanford Journal of International Affairs, International Journal on Group Rights, Problems of Communism, Uncaptive Minds, The New Republic.
▪ Senior Fellow, Center for European Policy Analysis (CEPA), Washington DC.
▪ Senior Associate, Europe Program, Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), Washington DC.
▪ Area Studies Chair (independent contractor), South Central Europe Area Studies, Foreign Service Institute, U.S. Department of State.
▪ Consultant, U.S. Department of Defense, U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), Rand Corporation, International Research and Exchanges Board (IREX), 21st Century Foundation, and other government agencies and private organizations.
▪ Testified before various U.S. Congressional committees: Helsinki Commission, the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, The House Defense Appropriations Committee.
▪ Author of 20 books on Europe, trans-Atlantic relations, Russia, ethnic politics, regional politics
▪ Contributes chapters and articles to books, journals, and encyclopedia in the U.S. and Europe. Selected by Gale Research for inclusion in Contemporary Authors.
▪ Host of “New Bugajski Hour, a twice monthly political show on RTK Television in Prishtina, Kosova (2015-2016)
▪ Host “Bugajski Hour,” a monthly political show on Albania-Screen television, Tirana, Albania (2012-2015)
▪ Host of “Bugajski Time,” a political talk show on Atlas TV, Podgorica, Montenegro (2014)
▪ Columnist for various newspapers in Europe at different times, including Jutarnji List (Croatia), Nacional (Croatia), Aktual (Croatia), Ukrainian Week (Ukraine), Al Jazeera (Balkans), Koha Ditore (Kosova), Dnevni Avaz (Bosnia-Herzegovina), Sedmica (Bosnia-Herzegovina), Albania Daily (Albania), Tribuna Shqiptare (Kosova), Kapital (Bulgaria), Trud (Bulgaria), Tabula (Georgia), Future Prospects (Abu Dhabi)
▪ Fiction novels: Journeys of No Return: The Balkan Sagas of Anvil Kutlas (2011)